Tigerillustrated.com first reports the verbal commitment of Terrell Smith to the Clemson Tigers. The highly rated Chalkville, Ala. blue-chipper committed to Clemson wide receivers coach Dabo Swinney earlier this evening after a visit today. Smith, a three-star rated selection, is billed as the nation's No. 17 safety prospect, and the sixth overall in the state of Alabama regardless of position.
Earlier this evening Clemson wide receivers coach Dabo Swinney landed a huge verbal commitment from one of the top 10 rated prospects in the state of Alabama - Chalkville star athlete Terrell Smith.
The 6-foot-2, 205-pound two-way star is touted as the nation's 17th safety by Rivals.com, and is regarded as the No. 6 prospect in the state of Alabama overall regardless of position.
The highly touted athlete caught 68 balls for 1023 yards and 12 touchdowns this season.
Smith picked Clemson over offers from Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, Ole Miss, Kentucky, Purdue, Louisville, Georgia Tech and Arkansas.
"Clemson just has everything for me. Coach Swinney came by and we talked. My mom and I felt real comfortable about everything that we talked about, and I knew it was the right decision. It just felt right," said Smith. "Clemson has an up and coming football program, they have a wide-open offense, and they are adding to their facilities. I will have a chance to play as a true freshman there, and maybe even start. That's a big plus for me."
Smith was once thought to be headed to Alabama, but the Tide fell short of scholarships last month.
Clemson has been no worse than No. 2 for his services since the spring.
The All-American two-way star becomes the 17th verbal commitment for the Clemson coaching staff this season. The staff is expected to sign as many as 24-26 prospects this winter.
Swinney signed a staff-high nine prospects last winter, including four from the state of Alabama - defensive tackle Jacquez McKissic of Opelika, quarterback Tribble Reese of Birmingham, wideout La'Donte Harris of Gadsden and safety Adrian Kindred of Opelika.
This season, again, Swinney leads the staff in verbal commitment acquisitions with seven, a total that includes McKissic, who plans to enroll in January.
Swinney's commitments this season include offensive lineman Quentez Ruffin of Tallahassee, Fla., wideout Rendrick Taylor of Bennettsville, tight end Paul Muse of Jacksonville, Fla., athlete Tyler Grisham of Birmingham, Ala., offensive lineman Jamarcus Grant of Mullins, and Terrell Smith.
Clemson commitments to date
1. Durrell Barry (TE 6-5, 242, 4.7) Summerville - Fork Union, Va.
2. Phillip Merling (DL 6-5, 265, 4.8) Memphis, TN - Fork Union, Va.
3. Barry Humphries (OL 6-3, 291, 4.96) Belton-Honea Path
4. Rendrick Taylor (WR 6-2, 210, 4.6) Bennettsville - Marlboro County
5. Tyler Grisham (ATH 5-11, 183, 4.45) Birmingham, Ala. - Spain Park
6. Tony Nelson (RB 5-10, 190, 4.5) Germantown, MD - Northwest
7. Paul Muse (TE 6-5, 245, 4.8) Jacksonville, Fla. - First Coast
8. Haydrian Lewis (DB 6-0, 180, 4.55) Goose Creek - Stratford
9. Quentez Ruffin (OL 6-4, 287, 4.9) Tallahassee, Fla. - Leon
10. Thomas Austin (OL 6-4, 286, 5.1) Camden
11. Jamarcus Grant (OL 6-5, 320, 5.1) Mullins
12. Josh Miller (LB 6-1, 215, 4.5) Manning
13. Kavell Conner (S 6-2, 210, 4.49) Midlothian, Va. - Manchester
14. Jacquez McKissic (DL 6-7, 280, 4.9) Opelika, Ala.
15. Elsmore Gabriel (DL 6-4, 260, 4.9) Fork Union, Va.
16. Corey Lambert (OL 6-7, 290, 5.0) Greenville
17. Terrell Smith (ATH 6-2, 205, 4.5) Chalkville, Ala.
GIVE TIGERILLUSTRATED.COM A TRY: Tigerillustrated.com is now offering a FREE seven-day trial. Try our content for seven days without paying a dime. Click here to subscribe!